JUMP-EN037 Obelisk the Tormentor Yu-Gi-Oh! Card
You must Tribute 3 monsters
Summon this card (you cannot Set this card). The Normal
Summon of this card cannot be negated. When this card is Normal
and Effect Monster effect
cannot be activated. This card cannot be targeted by the effects
or Effect Monsters
. If this card is Special Summoned, it is sent to the Graveyard during the End Phase. You can Tribute 2 monsters
to destroy all monsters
your opponent controls. This card cannot declare an attack the turn this effect
TCG Play Status for Obelisk the Tormentor Yu-Gi-Oh! Card
Full list of Limited and Forbidden Yu-Gi-Oh! Cards »
Visitors who viewed this Yu-Gi-Oh! card also viewed
Play tips for this YuGiOh Card
- A good way to protect this card is Stardust Dragon that protect him from a Lighting Vortex or such cards.
- In an Ojama deck, with at least 3 of them in your Graveyard, use Tri-Wight Zone for instant three tributes.
- Cosmic Compass combined with Double Summon can make an excellent combo to summon "Obelisk", providing that your opponent has at least 2 monsters in play.
- (You can also use "Cosmic Compass" to benefit from "Obelisk's" effect. To destroy all of your opponnent's monsters, play this card right and you get a deadly arsenal of tributes for the price of one card.)
- The effects of the Piece Golems can speed up this card's summoning considerably.
- A decent way of preventing your "Obelisk" from falling into the hands of your opponent from "Creature Swap" since it does not target (given if it is your only monster out on the field), you can use the card Pole Position to prevent it from happening since the card does not target your "Obelisk" and negates spells from affecting the strongest monster out on the field.
- This card works considerably well in Six Samurai and Blackwing decks.
- With some good Insect-Type monsters to put in your Graveyard, Spider Egg can both protect you from an attack and Special Summon 3 Spider tokens, providing another way to summon this card.
- To temporarily prevent this card from being destroyed by battle, you can use DNA Transplant and "Honest". Since neither cards target "Obelisk", by having "DNA Transplant" having your monsters be LIGHT monsters, should your opponent happen to have a monster stronger than "Obelisk", you can discard "Honest" to prevent it from being destroyed by battle and inflict 4000 points to your opponent.
- This card will be a dead draw if your opponent has Mask of Restrict or Fog King because they prevent tributing altogether. So be sure to deal with them first.
- Notes on destroying "Obelisk" by battle. The key is getting a monster to 4000 attack or more during a single turn.
- The card Metalmorph is very useful since it gives any monster with more than 1700 attack the power to destroy "Obelisk". Many Level 4 Monster Cards have enough attack when equipped with "Metalmorph".
- Several Fusion Monsters are strong enough to destroy Obelisk by battle, but it can be difficult to summon powerful ones in one turn. If "Obelisk" is summoned later in the game, try to use Miracle Fusion to summon Elemental Hero Shining Flare Wingman (if the materials are in your Graveyard and you have at least 5 Elemental Heroes in your graveyard) or Overload Fusion to summon Chimeratech Overdragon (if you have at least 5 Machine-Type monsters in your graveyard).
- Try to summon Level 10 Monster Cards of your own. Many level 10 monsters can overpower Obelisk (or at least end up destroying both of them), including The Wicked Dreadroot, Raviel, Lord of Phantasms, or The Wicked Avatar if you have 3 tributes available. Or activate "Spider Egg" if your opponent attacked the turn before and you have an Insect deck. "Fires of Doomsday" can be activated during your opponent's turn for 2 tokens. Reptilianne Spawn can also give tokens. (There are a myriad of options depending on what deck you have). If you have several Continuous Spell Cards in your hand summon Hamon, Lord of Striking Thunder. Occasionally even Uria, Lord of Searing Flames can destroy Obelisk. Darkness Neosphere, if used in a Fiend deck, can easily be summoned from your hand. Since it cannot be destroyed by battle it can destroy "Obelisk" and still survive. If your opponent summons their trump card, just summon your own. Use ideas created to summon "Obelisk" to summon a 3-tributer of your own.
- If you are willing to take a direct attack from "Obelisk" (which won't have very pretty results), you can summon Gorz the Emissary of Darkness or activate Apple of Frigg which will create a token powerful enough to destroy "Obelisk".
- If you have Shooting Quasar Dragon you can destroy Obelisk and also be able to summon Shooting Star Dragon from your Extra Deck.
- One of the quickest ways to Summon "Obelisk" is through Special Summon. However, his effect makes that troublesome. For instance The Shallow Grave may bring him out and prevent him from being destroyed that turn since he is face-down, yet once he is face-up the effect kicks in. But if Sauropod Brachion is on the Field, you can always flip all monster into face-down position again. However, the blanket immunity for "Obelisk" is lost while he is face-down. The benefit is that your opponent must either use a card to destroy him or intentionally attack a 4000 DEF monster to make him face-up during their turn instead of yours.
- If your opponent has summoned Obelisk using the aforementioned Cosmic Compass or The Tricky + Tricky Spell 4 combo, then they most likely used obelisk's effect to get rid of your monsters. If you find yourself with no monster to defend yourself with, a good card to summon is Temporal Machine God Metaion. Metaion's effect will activate upon battling obelisk, bouncing back to your opponent's hand and adding 300 damage to for each card returned this way, forcing your opponent to redo all there hard work at summoning it in the first place.
Add Your Card Tips
Buggerboi 2 July 2012
This card has a perfect combo that works well with lightpulsar dragons and red eyes darkness metal dragons (REDMD). you need to have 2 lighpulsars on the field, 1 REDMD on the field and 1 REDMD in the... Read Full »
See All Card Tips »
Report error on site!
This page uses some content from Yu-Gi-Oh! Wikia
at Wikia and is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License.